Sunday, March 30, 2008
The whisky barrel herb garden is already planted and it's not even April yet.
The herb garden is planted in half a Kentucky whisky barrel. I bought it at the K-Mart on Nine Mile Road in Pensacola. It's branded on the bottom that it is from Maker's Mark Distillery of Loretto, Kentucky and it's dated March 1996. This is the third year we've had it and have planted herbs in it.
The inside diameter is 23 inches so the plantable area is almost 2.9 square feet. Or somewhat less than one ten-thousandth (1/10,0000) of an acre.
Here is a key to what's planted.
1. Greek Oregano, still growing from last year
6. Chives, growing from last summer
7. Cayenne Pepper
8. Sweet Basil
9. Summer Savory
There are also pots of Lavender and Rosemary growing by themselves.
Here's a link to another post about the herb garden -- from April, 2006.
Monday, March 17, 2008
We have been reading the cruise ship brochures again and like the idea of a spring cruise of the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival Glory.
The seven night cruise begins and ends at Port Canaveral. It's on the Atlantic east of Orlando and just north of Cocoa Beach. It is the world's second busiest cruise ship port after Miami.
There are stops in:
Saint Thomas, U.S.Virgin Islands; Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles; and Nassau, Bahamas.
OTHER EASTERN CARIBBEAN LINKS
• Shopping at the port in Charlotte Amalie -- Havensight Mall.
• Interactive maps, one of Downtown Nassau showing Prince George Wharf, Rawson Square, Government Buildings and other sights and another map showing Nassau and Paradise Island.
• The Port of St. Maarten link.
• St. Maarten/St. Martin's chain of big supermarkets -- Le Grand Marché.
• On the Dutch side of St. Maarten take the water taxi for lunch at The Greenhouse Restaurant, part of Bobby's Marina.
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Maggie, on the right, has just been adopted from the Humane Society of Pensacola's shelter. She is one year old.
Susie, on the left, is 13 and is sitting in the "meatloaf" position because she isn't sure we need another cat. But she's coming around. And in a week or two they will be buddies.