Monday, November 26, 2012

2012 Maui Trip -- Day 1

Sunset at LAX Sunset at LAX looking from the Crowne Plaza toward Hawaii

Up at 3:45 AM all packed and ready for a cup of coffee before heading for the airport. At 4:30 we were watching for the taxi. At 4:35 I called J.J. who sounded very sleepy. He said something came up and he would be over to pick us up in twenty minutes. I asked him where he was coming from. And could he be here in ten minutes?

He couldn't tell me where he was so I cancelled the taxi, unbolted the garage door and we drove to the airport. And parked in the expensive parking garage there. A tiny bit of much needed good luck: there was a parking space right next to the elevator and near the main lobby entrance.

My knee replacement sometimes causes a lot of delay getting through security so I get nervous when it appears we are late getting to the airport. As it happened we were fine and, with the kind help of the AirTran agent, got set up with wheelchairs for ATL and LAX.

We left Pensacola on time and were off the plane in ATL about 8:30 (AM!). With lots of help from the friendly staff at the airport we got to our gate for the flight to LAX with time to spare. The airport is huge and to get from one terminal to another involves elevators and train rides.

We even had time for a sit-down restaurant breakfast by our gate. As for the Atlanta-style southern cooking, it was the worst breakfast this side of the free breakfasts they give you at Hilton's Hampton Inns -- scrambled eggs cooked till they bounce and icy-cold sausages.

Our flight to LAX was on time at both ends, taking off a little after 10:00 AM and getting to LAX before 1:00 PM. Wheelchairs from the gate to baggage claim. All our bags arrived OK, then we were off to the hotel van pickup area. It took forever. Neither of us had been to LAX for nearly ten years. Very little has changed. Total chaos at the curbside. The only change in all this time is, it's gotten worse.

The Crowne Plaza LAX was ready for our early check-in and the room was nice as were the naps we immediately took.

No comments: